Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Fries with that?

I was too embarrassed to tell the taxi driver, "Take me to the nearest McDonalds," so I asked that he take me to a location near a McDonalds I knew. It could have been the farthest. The trip took about 20 minutes, but the fare was only about a $1.50.

I was in Amman last weekend and decided to indulge in the guiltiest of American pleasures: the Quarter Pounder with cheese. While I normally don't crave McDonalds -- I typically partake only on roadtrips in the States -- the absence of McDonalds in Syria seems only to make the heart grow fonder.

Sadly, the quarter pounder had been sitting under a heatlamp for a bit too long, as were the fries. Still, it was a familiar taste. Just as I remembered it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

What kind of cheese was it? When I was in Israel, I couldn't find one hamburger place that would add cheese to a burger or sandwich. The closest I got to a real 'booor-gair'was in Nazareth, but it was basically kabab meat with a western-style bun...no cheese.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Marianna said...

I didnt know they opened a McDonald's in Syria!!

2:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello there, just discovered your blog, WHERE OH WHERE - pray tell! is there a mcD's in Syria!!?????????

If indeed this is so, this could very soon become my second [third] home...

4:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home